Although I register all of my images with the U.S. Copyright Office, I am willing to provide licenses for the use of my photographs. I basically separate my licenses into two types – personal use and commercial use.
Creative Commons License
There are various types of Creative Commons Licenses, but I’ve adopted the Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC license.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
- Share, Copy Distribute and Transmit an image for non-commercial use.
- Remix, or create derivative works from an image.
With the following conditions
- Attribution: You must provide a link back to this web site – http://williambeem.com – and provide attribution William Beem.
- Non-Commercial: You may not use the image for commercial uses under any circumstances with the Creative Commons license.
Examples of Permitted Usage under Creative Commons License
- Use an image for a personal blog post
- Use an image for a desktop wallpaper
- Educational projects or uses
Uses of an image that sell or promote a person, product or idea are considered Commercial – regardless whether the user is a non-profit or profitable entity. Any commercial usage must be negotiated for a license fee and contract that describes the intended usage and limitations of use.
Examples of Usage Requiring License/Payment
- A print of an image at any size
- Fund-raising for non-profit organization
- Advertising/Marketing for commercial promotions
- A derivative work intended for sale or commercial use
Please send inquiries for commercial licensing to email@example.com.